And entering into the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, arrayed in a white robe; and they were amazed. (ASV)
What was seen at the tomb?
Bart Ehrman points out in Jesus, Interrupted that different things were seen at the tomb in different Gospels:
- And entering into the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, arrayed in a white robe; and they were amazed.
- And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus, who hath been crucified.
- And it came to pass, while they were perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel:
- 1: Now on the first [day] of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, while it was yet dark, unto the tomb, and seeth the stone taken away from the tomb.
- 2: She runneth therefore, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we know not where they have laid him.
Edit this section if you doubt error.
Edit this section to note miscellaneous facts.